Saturday, October 18, 2008

Where did the time go?

I am now the mother of a 16 year old driver. THUD!!! I've been pondering just where the time has gone. You see, it seems like it was just yesterday that I dropped him off for Kindergarden dressed in his "tacky pants" (they were really khaki but that's what he called them) and blue polo. He was so excited. I was sad. Jesse and I went to the park for the 4 hours Chris was in class and then picked him up. And it seems like it was last week that he and Jesse were playing outside a little too quietly. When I found them, they were playing happily in the tractor ruts by the shed. I guess I should mention the ruts were full of mud, manure, grease and oil. I hosed them off as much as possible outside and yet the tub still had a black ring for weeks. And wasn't it last month that he climbed into the crib to comfort his baby brother? And yes, I'm quite certain it was last year that I watched Mike take his son for the first time with tears in my eyes. If you've never seen what unconditional love looks like, that was it. I cannot tell you how much more I fell in love with my husband that day. So, how did we get here? Here where our son is driving alone and experiencing so much new freedom. Here where our son only has about 2 1/2 more years of high school before he's off to the adult world. Here to the age I was when I met my husband. How did I get here? What happened to all the years I now warn others to treasure? And yes, I realize just how old saying that makes me sound. And yes, I know next Thursday when my youngest turns 14 I'll be going down this same road. It's one that's well traveled. I go down it yearly it seems. And then last night I saw an old highschool friend. Her kids are literally 1/2 the age of my boys and two of them are preschoolers! Did I stop having children too soon? Really......I could be a grandma while some my age are still having children. Do you see my eyes bugging out? I know just how far off track I'm getting and I know the ones who will bring me back (the same teens that sent me off track). The Bible warns me of seasons for everything. I guess I'd better pay a bit more attention.

Melinda

No comments: