Friday, October 23, 2009

My little baby boy.

It's been 15 years ago since I had this wonderful "little" boy. I was at the hospital at this time hearing that I wasn't contracting (they didn't know yet that I was having gall stone attacks that had been happening since June) but they would go ahead and hook me up to pitocin since I was 14 days overdue. Dr. Jones joking asked me if I could deliver this baby in time for him to make it to his church picnic. The nurses got me hooked up to the pit at 8 am and at 8:05 Mike reminded them we needed an epidural. Dr. Jones came back in at 8:15 just as I was having a contraction and ordered it for me. Sometimes in the face of extreme danger, men just give in. Jesse was born at 11:30 am just as our pastor, Fred Branco, was praying for us in church. Jesse entered the world at a whopping 8# 14oz and 21 1/2 inches long. Dr. Jones assured me that by going over his due date he had actually lost weight. For that, I was thankful. I don't remember if there was a full moon or just what the issue was (maybe we had a really cold January) but the nursery was full of babies. Since Jesse was my 2nd baby and I hadn't had any complications, the nurses asked that I keep him in my room as much as possible. He was such a good baby that it really wasn't an issue. Maybe the fact that we were watching the Chicago Bears pregame on TV while I was in labor is why he loves the Bears so much. The nurses kept trying to wrap him in this little recieving blanket and his feet kept popping out the end. I think you can see his feet in every one of the pictures of everyone holding him at the hospital. Chris got to hold him at the hospital sitting in a bean bag chair. It was so amazing to watch them bond and become brothers and friends in that instant. And to watch my Daddy hold him brought so much joy. My Dad just doesn't like to hold babies. They're too small for him to feel comfortable with. Not Jesse, he was big enough for Daddy's comfort zone and they shared the same outer foot bone curve. And, as Jesse pointed out when he was about 6, they were born on the same day. Not the same date but the 23rd is both of their birthdays.

Today, Jesse is the tallest member of our family. His feet still stick out from the blankets. He's quickly becoming the man of God that He had planned all along. He went on a mission trip this summer to North Dakota and worked with Kindergarteners. I have to think of the movie "Kindergarten Cop" when I imagine that scene. He had a great time and hopefully was a good influence on those kiddos. Jesse is a sophomore in high school and will have his mandatory classes finished this year. I don't know which direction his future will pull him, but I do know it's a bright one.

Happy birthday, Jesse.

1 comment:

Nana said...

It is amazing how much he has grown and matured. Sorry he was never little and would probably not appreciate you calling him your baby! Oh well, the things children endure for their parents.
Love,
Mylene and Jimmy