Thursday, June 10, 2010

My sister reminded me that I needed to post....

and honestly, I'd love to fill this post with pictures. Unfortunately my computer and this blog aren't getting along well with uploading pics right now. I'm going to have to have a serious talk with them.

This morning we got up and going early once again. I went out and weeded and tied my tomatoes higher up on their stakes once again. All I can tell you is they love cattle manure. Here's where a picture would be nice. My tomatoes are nearing 4 ft tall and are loaded with blooms and a few little green tomatoes. I was hoping I might get to pick a few of the cherry tomatoes before we go to Jr. Nationals but it's just not looking promising at this point. I also have another sweet banana pepper ready to pick and a bell pepper in the works. The rabbits/squirrel ate all but two of my cucumber sprouts. I saw the squirrel in there the other day and called for the dog out the back door. I'm threatening to stake her out by the garden one night if he doesn't leave my plants alone!

While I was working in the garden the guys loaded some cows for embryo transplant, a bull and the heifers for hoof trimming and headed out. They should be walking in the door any minute now telling me how starved they are. Hopefully some of these eggs will take.

I need to sit down and make a list of all that I need to do between now and next Saturday so that I'm ready for us to pull out of here. We'll be spending a fun filled week in Spencer, Iowa! Ya, I know, party town. I looked up some info on where to find different points of interest while we're there. You know, Wal-Mart, restaurants, hospital - all the normal need to know spots. I do need to find out if they have wi-fi anywhere in town for a meeting I need to log in for. If not, I guess I'll just miss that meeting.

Yesterday we met with the guys' ag teacher. She came out to look at Chris's SAE projects. Unfortunately, she forgot she was coming to a working cattle farm that had just gotten 1 1/2 inches of rain in about 36 hours. She didn't bring mud boots so she could only go in the barn and see what was there. Mike talked to her a little bit about Chris's accomplishments. She was impressed with all the guys do here. She did make a comment about some kids only taking ag their junior and senior years (like ours are doing). She said it'd be so much easier if she had them all 4 years. I didn't say it to her at the time, but I don't think our boys would've benefited any more from being involved any sooner. The reason they have advanced ag knowledge is because we've been doing ag at home with them. The MO State FFA organization doesn't acknowledge homeschooled students though. Therefore, in order to be able to show until they're 21, they have to attend an ag class at a public school in MO. It's a compromise on my part to even send them. It takes away from valuable hands on farm time - real learning, in my opinion. She and I are both learning the fine art of give and take.

Tomorrow Mike's oldest niece, Rachael, and her husband, Jason, are bringing our newest great niece over for a visit. I'm making us kabobs, rice, loaded salad and maybe strawberry shortcake with homemade ice cream. Charlotte Elizabeth (nicknamed Charlie) was born May 30th, just a couple of hours shy of Mike's birthday. She'll be all of 12 days old tomorrow.

I think that's it for right now. Time to work on that list.

3 comments:

4stemmes said...

I have that swaddle ready for you to try! The kids with be with mom & dad tomorrow--any chance you might be around that area and you could get it then? I really want them to try it with her--it worked wonderfully for us!

Melinda said...

Thanks so much, Tara. Those things just cost too much to try if you're not sure if it'll work for your kiddo, kwim? Thanks for letting her try it out.

Nana said...

Thank you for taking my suggestion about posting. Sorry your computer and blog site are not cooperating!! Hate when that happens. We need to talk about Chris and College soon! After studying for CLEPing out of Algebra, I understand your frustration with the State of MO demands.
How exciting to have a really new baby come visit. Hope the weather cooperates and is not too hot/humid for them.