Thursday, September 30, 2010

Ahhh....fall has arrived.

Yes, fall and spring are by far my favorite seasons.  Fall gives me a break from the summer heat and humidity and yet, it's not so bitter cold.  Spring brings the moderate temps back when I'm oh so ready to be back outside.  Fall also is the season of our sons' birthdays and spring is Mike's and mine.  We're really all about balance around here.  Sort of.

Yesterday I took time to clear out some of the paperwork on my desk and bulletin boards.  There's only so much visual clutter I can take before I'm ready to trash it all.  I was at that point yesterday.  And apparently, the guys have hit that point outside.  They have cleaned out the grainery (which is now our storage area), the tool shed and are ready to start on the garage off the old house.  Apparently this fall we will get that torn down along with the little house across the drive.  The goal is a new shed that is large enough to house the stock trailer and Mike's good truck.  We would also like to fill in the old basement so we have a more attractive yard area.

I've been trying to find open squares on our calendar to plan birthday parties for our guys.  Both have major milestone birthdays this year and yet the calendar is being difficult.  This week has been a killer to us as it's homecoming week in Mexico so the FFA decided to really do up a float for the parade.  It's also fruit sales time and we've been gone two nights for that.  And, I do still work at the library 3 nights a week and a couple of Saturdays a month.  So yeah, the calendar is a bit ugly and unrelenting.

Our church called a new pastor last Sunday.  Actually we called our interim to be our full time pastor.  I am so very thankful that while it's taking some creative time management and thinking, our church was willing to step outside the comfort zone and try something a bit different, a bit unorthodox.  You see, our pastor will continue to live and teach college classes in Hannibal.  He has a passion for teaching and that is one reason he is such a good fit for our church.  I can see a lot of benefits to not living right in the town where you pastor.  People likely won't feel quite so much "ownership" of his time.  I'm hoping this step will encourage all of us in the church to actually be the church and step into some of the roles we formerly thought of as belonging only to the pastor.  I really do think it will be a time of great growth for all of us.

This post has really been random.....sorry about that.  That's just kinda how my mind is working right now.  Maybe I should get off here and teach our Ag Communications class about narrowing your focus before I write another blog entry. 

2 comments:

4stemmes said...

Glad that you took a few minutes out of your insanely-busy schedule to blog a little bit :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, thought the world was going to miss out on your great writings! Hope everything is going well and you get the boys birthdays figured out! Can't believe they are getting old on us :( although I am sure they are happy about it.