Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Colors......

I used to love the variety of colors available to me in the big box of crayons. Even when the boys were little I'd buy the 256 color pack and we'd have a ball coloring together. Well, picking colors for the house has brought that love affair with color to an end. Abruptly.

I went through a whole pile of sage greens before I found the right shades for our kitchen and dining room. Mike liked the darker one enough to use it on our one painted wall in our bedroom. I also went through a pile of tans to find the boys bathroom color. And yet another pile of light browns for our bathroom. I went through a ton of burgandys trying to find the right one for our dining room and office. No such luck. I decided to look at blues. Found one that might work but wasn't sure it was what I wanted in the dining room. One of Mike's aunts suggested an orange (pumpkin or honey). Ummmm...we're just not orange people. Finally I picked out a cottage white. Just a tick off white for the time being. I basically surrendered at the paint counter and gave up. I told Mike he had to pick the color for the media room as it's the "man cave". They've decided to decorate it in a sports bar theme. I said a charcoal and silvery grey would be very nice up there. I was thinking it would be very neutral and could go with the variety of colors. His response? "Not Raider colors." Oh gee whiz. So he started sorting through the 5 million color chips at Home Depot Friday night. We got there about 8:15 and closed the place down. They literally locked the doors behind us. LOL. But he found his color. And we had to get a tinted primer to get it dark enough. So, what's the color you ask?

Well, let's give you a few hints first as to the sports teams that will be represented up there. Jesse and Mike are Chicago Bears fans. Chris is a Pittsburg Steelers fan. We all enjoy the St. Louis Cardinals. They enjoy Mizzou sports. So do you see where we're going??????????

I certainly didn't. The color is Behr's Embarcadero. You can look it up. It's a deep purple! Almost an eggplant PURPLE! I didn't even know the man knew the color. The primer is the color of Pepto Bismol. Yep, PINK. Folks, these are colors that have never been in our house. I'm so confused.

But, I have decided to use this decision to my enjoyment. You see, the boys are off working for someone else today. I'm going up to the media room after lunch and painting the primer on the walls. Then, when they get home I'm hoping to get a picture of their reactions when they see pink on the walls of their man cave. LOL. That will bring me great joy. Hopefully I get the picture and can post it here for you.

3 comments:

Nana said...

Pink and Purple, sounds like colors Greg used in little "Princess'" room. Well that is Grandpa's name for her at this point. Can't wait to hear how they took it. BTW, Raider's colors are Black and Silver (I know, my boss is a huge fan, I can't explain him), nothing charcoal about them. Hopefully the purple will dry dark!
Enjoy your day, hope things are progressing with the house and you all can move in soon.

Donna said...

Hi Melinda, I found your blog from Tara's. Love your new house! It's beautiful. Where are you building? Close to the old one?

Melinda said...

Donna, the new house is where our circle drive used to be. We're hoping to be in it by the end of the month! I know the boys are more than ready to be done with it.