Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A lot of progress....finally!

Whew. Last Friday the drywallers finished up. Woo hoo! We had a vet science/beef field trip on Saturday morning to Circle A Ranch's feedlot facility in Huntsville, MO. They have a feedlot under roof that is 1/2 mile long and will hold up to 5,000 head of cattle at any one time!!!! It was very cool. The kids got a lot of information on new ways of doing things that should help them in the future. On our way home we passed a furniture and flooring store in Moberly that was advertising a sale. Well, that meant I turned us around and headed back to check out their tile. LOL. Mike and I went in and found tile for the boys' bathroom for under $50. It's a little darker at home than it looked in the store, but it's gonna work out nicely. We got some other prices from them but decided we needed to continue the low price hunt a little more. I'm still a bit confused as to how I got to be so frugal. I honestly wasn't always this way. I think my husband has rubbed off on me over the years. Once we got home Saturday, I started taping off the windows in the house so we could get ready to prime it. Have I mentioned the fact that I love natural light and therefore our house has 22 windows in it? The only rooms without windows are the boys bathroom and the laundry room. So, yeah, it took a while.

Sunday we went to church and Sunday school and then home. Mike had to treat a cow who, it seems, was suffering post partum depression. Didn't know that could happen, but since she didn't really have a physical problem (other than not eating and drinking) that's my best guess. Thankfully she's snapping out of it with a little TLC. I went to the home expo in Columbia. The only thing that impressed me at all was that I got a $50 coupon for the Carpet One store. We're heading over there this evening to check out their bargain room and hopefully find tile for the entry and our bathroom. Got home, helped Mike finish taping off the windows and then took Jesse to youth. Chris stayed home again due to bronchitis.

Monday I decided to start priming the house. Only problem was that the painter we borrowed wasn't working. I ended up renting one and since it was costing me by the day, I primed the entire house Monday. I came in and my face was covered with the primer. The boys told me, "Mom, you're a white woman.....a really white woman." It took 7 hours and 38 gallons of primer, but it was finished. I was exhausted and had to spend some time in a hot bath trying to get all that primer off me. Thankfully Chris did the dishes that had piled up and Jesse fixed supper for us. That was a huge blessing.

Tuesday I returned the painter and bought paint and supplies. Apparently the Mexico Wal-Mart can no longer color match. Either their machine is broken or their employee is incompetent. I'll leave that conclusion up to you. I know what I've decided. Came home and touched up the ceiling in the boys bathroom and got the walls mostly painted. We had 4-H last night so I had to stop for that. Mike painted the ceilings in the office, entry, dining room and kitchen. He also got the entry painted. He's not sure he loves the color, but I assured him, it's only paint. We can change it anytime.

We're hoping to get most if not all the house painted this week. It's getting exciting. I'll try to post some pics as we finish rooms.

3 comments:

Nana said...

Well, I think you become very frugal when you think about all the money spent on building a house. I know I was shocked when we built ours. Luckily we still came in under budget, hope the same is for you.
Hope Chris is feeling better. We bought Brock a big boy bed and he is in it tonight. The door is shut so he can't get out and we can hear him laughing, no telling what he is doing (you know about boys!!). Can't wait to see pictures of the house and hopefully next week I can get over there a couple of evenings and help out.
Pray for me, I have finals Friday in Biology.

Nana said...

Hey, it was great helping out today. Brock and I had fun. Him getting dirty and me catching up with everything and seeing for myself all the progress on the house. Before you know it, you will be moved in. The ceiling looks awesome even if I do say so myself.
Mylene

Melinda said...

I'm so thankful you and Brock were able to come and help me yesterday. He was very entertaining. LOL. The ceilings look awesome and I don't think they're going to even need another coat. And yes, I did come back to my senses once I got some fresh air. Hopefully I wasn't too loopy.