Friday, May 7, 2010

Reflecting....

No, I'm not looking in a mirror or a puddle of water. I'm thinking back over the years once again. Chris will soon (as in as soon as he finishes his final language paper) be a senior in high school and Jesse will soon (as soon as he finishes HIS final language paper) be a junior in high school and I'm realizing just how soon our homeschool adventure will end. We allowed Chris to take an ag class at the local high school this year. It was the only way he could join FFA and we wanted him to have that experience. I was not sure it was going to be the best thing for him, but knew at his age this could work. We bit the bullet and let him go. He has done amazingly well in his class and has developed leadership skills and confidence in the man God has made him beyond what we ever could have imagined. It thrills me to see this transformation.

A few weeks ago he said they were going to have officer interviews. We encouraged him to apply for an office. He came home from the interviews and said he knew who probably would be president. He was right in his guess and it wasn't him. BUT the chapter chose to have an FFA Chaplin. They've not had this position in the past and I figured our school was so politically correct they never would. You know, it might offend someone. But they chose to have this office and Chris will fill that position next year. I don't think he understood what an honor it really is. And I'm guessing at 17 I probably wouldn't have either. The thing is though, they looked at the kids that applied and chose him to be the one stationed at the Bible, to guide the spiritual presence and moral participation of the chapter. To me, that means more than being the president. From the beginning of our children's education we felt that faith in God would always trump any other aspect in education. If they excell in head, heart and mind knowledge and faith in Christ, the rest is just icing on the cake. I know a multitude of people will disagree, but these are our children. We do know what's best for them. Last night as he was announced as this officer God spoke quietly to my heart that while this will be a growing experience for him (speaking and praying in front of groups of people) this will also be a chance for him to boldly show his faith in Christ in a public school setting.

Both of the guys are going on the church's mission trip again this year. They will once again miss our county fair but they feel like the opportunity to minister to the Indian tribes in North Dakota will have a more lasting impact. I pray that they are like shining lights always, but especially on the trip. This year the plan is for them to build some playgrounds on the reservations. Young men doing manly work for God. It doesn't get any better than that. Jesse is really stoked about it now that he knows he can use power tools if needed. I'm guessing he'll find a need for them no matter what. That's my boy. Jesse has grown up so much this year and I often find myself forgetting that he's only 15. He's looking into colleges and scholarships and trying to figure out how to make his life all work out. I so remember being like him at about 16 and 17. I was even so bold as to fill out my 5, 10 and 20 year plans in my senior album. I thought I knew exactly where I was headed. I do hope the one thing he's learned that I hadn't was to be flexible. Life will be much easier for him if he has learned that little skill.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Best of luck to both of these wonderful young men. It seems like only yesterday you were bringing them over to be babysat. Tell Jesse call sometime and we will go over to the DB library to look up resources for scholarships if he is interested.
WE are so proud of both boys, in all their life choices but especially because they are interested in teaching others about God and sacrificing something important to them.