Monday, May 24, 2010

Summertime!

Ahh....it seems as if summer is here. We kicked the air on yesterday due to the fact that we were having company for lunch and didn't want them to be terribly uncomfortable. Today, it's just nice to have a cool place to come in to.

Yesterday we had our interim pastor and youth pastor and their families over for lunch. It was a fun and casual afternoon. We tried out the new ice cream maker that I bought with some birthday money. I think I have our FOREVER FAVORITE ice cream recipe. It is so incredibly easy: for 4 quarts you need 4 cups heavy cream, 4 cups 1/2 and 1/2, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cup sugar and about a tablespoon or so of vanilla. We tend to go a little heavy on the vanilla but that's just our preference. It is so very tasty. Ahh...summer treats.

Today we all got up early. I got the laundry finished up, got Jesse's enrollment packet filled out for ag class next year, got some stakes for my tomatoes, went to the feed store and took the truck and trailer to bring home 3 pairs that Mike wants to AI. That was all by 11 am. This afternoon I got the yard mowed and am thinking as soon as it starts cooling off I need to weed the garden, stake the tomatoes and maybe even water it a bit. I also need to pick up the pepper plants that Chris picked up for me at the FFA greenhouse. The squirrels and rabbits have eaten several of the originals I planted. They didn't touch my tomatoes though. Hmm? Picky pests. We did get to pick the first two strawberries out of Jesse's patch today. They are huge! I'd love to weigh the bigger one just to see how much it weighs but our little kitchen scale seems to be broken. Our raspberry bushes that we just planted this sping are leafing out. The lavendar bushes I ordered are beginning to leaf out a bit now too. It's so fun to watch everything come to life.

Tomorrow I'm headed to the Amish community with my sister and mom. Should be a good time and hope to find some bargains this week.

1 comment:

Nana said...

Sounds like you had a pretty productive day! Hope tomorrow is as productive and we find what we are looking for! I will be wearing something that does not include pants because I am "sun kissed".