Monday, April 18, 2011

Busy, busy Sunday.



Beautiful Palm Sunday morning.
 
 Some Sundays I feel like I'm busy just getting ready for church and getting a few things done around here before cooking for the kids that go to youth with the boys. This Sunday was different for us. We had a show to go to, a gomer bull to pick up and a lot of cow/calf pairs to look at. We left home at 7 am and returned about 9:30 pm. All of us were up and going strong at 6 am. I needed to cool the roast beef I'd cooked overnight and turn it into roast beef salad for our lunch. I wasn't sure what I had for bread but remembered we had hot dog buns in the freezer that would work great for sandwiches at the show. I got our food ready and pack, the guys did chores and we were off. We stopped in Boonville to top off the fuel tank then headed on to the show that the Boonville FFA Booster Club was sponsoring. I tried to figure out what the judge was looking for by watching a couple of classes. The guys were fitting the crossbred heifer and I was in charge of letting them know when to bring her up for the show. They had her ready in plenty of time and we were just praying we had her fit to look like what the judge was looking for.  Turned out that we did.  She beat a heifer that has been doing really well so we were thrilled.  We figured getting 1st in class was the toughest part of the crossbred division and it turned out that was right too.  Jesse and Beau won the Champion Crossbred and went back in for Overall Championship drive.  They ended up as the 4th overall female of the day.  Not too shabby.  Mike and Chris went back to fit the market heifer, Payge.  Jesse competed in showmanship.  No win there but honestly, he had done his winning already.  There were only 2 market heifers at the show (new division for MO this year) but we did have some tough competition.  We weren't sure which way the judge would go, but he chose Chris and Payge to win the Market Heifer Champion.  Chris went back in for the Overall Market Animal drive.  We knew we didn't stand a chance in there but it's fun to be back in the ring.  While Chris washed his heifer out, Mike, Jesse and I packed up the trailer and got ready to head out.  The timing worked out really well and sooner than
expected, we were on the road to pick up our gomer bull from Riley Farms near Marshall.  When we got to their farm they offered to show us their spring calves.  Of course we're always ready to look at cattle so off we went.  We saw some really nice calves and finally got the gomer bull loaded up and were back on the road by about 6 pm.  At the show we had talked to John and Patsy Watts about stopping by their place too.  We don't get away to other cattle farms very often so when we're in the area we try to make the most of it.  It was a little after 7 when we got to the Watts Farm.  They have a beautiful lawn and farm.  We enjoyed the visit and the chance to see their cows and calves.  We also
passed by the big sheep farm Mike's parents had been interested in buying when they were moving to Missouri in the late 70's.  Mike got to tell the boys some great stories about that farm and also some stories about what the farm economy turned into in the early 80's.  Was a great lesson in economics and history.   When we were about an hour from home, Mike made the comment that he thought we'd have pizza for supper. Yeah, buddy. I was dialing the phone before he could change his mind. We would be driving right by our local Pizza Hut on the way home so we could just park along the street if they were busy and pick up the pizzas. The guys decided we needed 3 larges because they were all STARVING. If you know my crew that can't be good. Turns out Pizza Hut wasn't busy so we pulled in and took up about half of their parking lot with our truck and trailer.  So, now when I complain about a busy Sunday, I'll have to stop and reflect on just how busy it could be.  But you know what?  I wouldn't have traded that long, busy day for anything in the world.  I love the time I get to spend with all three of my guys.  I'm so glad the guys enjoy the cattle so much, because it's an awesome way to spend some great family time.   

2 comments:

Lesa said...

Sounds like a packed, but great day. Glad you were able to be together.

KH said...

Those are my favorite kind of days as well. Even if we get stressed and aren't always 100% nice while trying get it done, there's nothing like everyone working together to get the calves to the ring and that wonderful sense of accomplishment that comes from a cattle show day. Some days I feel like I can't look around and 'see' what I have accomplished, when I look at tired happy faces on the ride home, I can see it and you're right I wouldn't trade those for the world! :)