Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sunday's coming!

I read a post by a good friend of mine on Facebook saying her little girl was wondering why we call it "Good Friday" when it was the day Jesus was killed.  I remember wondering that same thing myself when I was a young Christian.  Of course, it was an amazingly good sacrafice that only the best could give for my sins.  God withheld absolutely nothing so that we might all come to Him and be in relationship with Him.  Last night our church held a Good Friday service for the first time in as many years as we've been there.  It really was an awesome service.  We took communion, sang amazing songs with just the drum and a couple of guitars and heard a great message by our pastor.  I sat upstairs with Mike since he was running the projectors.  The boys got there just before service started (they had stayed back to do chores since Mike needed to be at church at 6pm).  I was struck after the service at how blessed we are.  It's been a week of God pointing out multiple times to me, just how good we have it with our guys.  Sure we have days when it's a struggle, but you know what?  Nothing good ever comes easily.  Here it was Friday night and our boys had chosen a church service and then time with extended family for desserts over going out with friends. And they chose it without input from their dad or myself.    I am thankful. 
Weatherwise, Friday was a dreary day.  It was rainy and kind of ugly for most of the day.  For me, those kind of days really make it hard to function.  I was blessed with a burst of energy and a bit of cooking inspiration for the day.  I got the entry spring cleaned, lunch fixed, supper fixed, a dessert to take along and worked with Mike on planning the tile layout for our shower.  I think we may have finally come up with a plan or two that will work out for us.  We're trying to use up some leftover tiles and still have a neat looking pattern that will tie the whole room together. 
Today I am at work (thus no pics with this post). It's been a little slow but my afternoon was brightened by a visit from a family that is so fun and positive.  It also happens to be the surgeon that took out Chris's appendix 4 years ago.  That's a long story for another day, but one that ends with quick forgiveness and great strides for all.  Before work I managed to make breakfast and lunch for today, put up a load of dishes, reload the dishwasher, handwash a few things, change out the laundry, fold two loads of laundry and get two calves back in their pasture.  I need to do a few things for Easter morning at our house.  Not sure of all the details just yet, but am thinking a quick nap this afternoon might help. :)  Tomorrow we'll get to spend the day celebrating the resurrection of Christ!  Sunday's coming and the great outlook is right there with it!  Without Christ, I could do nothing, but with Him, I can do all that He asks of me.  Life is good, God is great!

2 comments:

Nan said...

Sounds like you have a good sermon title "Why is it really called Good Friday". I would love to hear someone's reasoning on this one. Our church had a living last supper (which we missed, to many things, not enough time) that people said was awesome. They started it last year and I am glad they are continuing that tradition.
Mylene

KH said...

We kind of go back and forth between a Maundy Thursday service and a Good Friday service. One Year David was Jesus in the Last supper, I should find a picture, I took several. I do love the Holy Week activities. You are so right on feeling blessed when you start seeing those good decisions made, makes us realize maybe we are doing it right! :) KH