Friday, April 15, 2011

FFA Teacher and Staff Appreciation Breakfast

I know, I know, this happened over a month ago, but life is finally a little bit slower and I can post now.

The kids on the right, Bradley and Haley, were in charge of pancakes.  The group to the left were chatting and waiting for serving time.

The egg crew.  On the left we have Sami cracking and beating the eggs. On the right, cooking scrambled eggs. Funny side note, only 2 kids knew how to make scrambled eggs.

Bacon anyone?  Note the male influence of cooking bacon in the shop. 

Serving and still cooking.

"Hey, I have an order."

Jesse at the scrambled egg station.


Cooks were finishing up and the servers were busy.

"Haley, don't clean that.  Mom'll do it."

"Could we use any shop tools to speed this up?"

The breakfast actually turned out really great.  The kids learned some new life skills (such as how to run the toaster) and the teachers and staff enjoyed a good, free breakfast.  We had way more homemade syrup than we needed.  A few kids took pint jars home.  No parents have spoken to me since.  Is that a bad thing?  I was asked for the recipe but the kids want to make it and sell it next year with their fruit and meat sales, so I'm not giving out the exact recipe.  It does have butter, cream, and sugar in it though.  I jokingly told one teacher it was totally low fat.  Another teacher thought I was serious and was ready to question my ability to homeschool my sons.  Lighten up! 

I really enjoyed working with the kids that morning.  They had gotten up extra early (started cooking and preparing at 5:30 at the school) and really did put forth some effort.  Some learned to be a little more flexible in how they did things (Bradley with the pancake mix and not measuring EXACTLY how much water to add) and some learned to step outside their comfort zone (Phoebe scrambling the eggs).  They all learned to work together to accomplish a goal and they did it with good attitudes.  Thanks guys, for a fun morning!

1 comment:

Lesa said...

What a great group of kids! Excellent idea and glad they worked together too.